The Babyproofing category leverages skills that you may already have, and can be a great way for you to grow your Client base!
If you already do tasks in the Furniture Assembly, Mounting, Minor Home Repairs, you’re off to a great start! The most popular task within the Babyproofing category is to install baby gates, followed by securing furniture to walls.
If you task in the Organizing or Interior Design categories, you may be able to specialize in helping Clients to prepare their space to be safe and accommodating to children. This may include tasks like reorganizing items on shelves, in storage, or putting together the nursery!
Sample Scoping Questions for Babyproofing Tasks
- Can you share a link to the gate/s you’ve purchased?
- Are there any extra parts needed that I can pick up in advance?
- Is the gate pressure fit, or will it need to be drilled into the wall?
- Do you already have the child locks, or will you need me to purchase? If so, can you send me a link of what you’re looking for?
- Did the [furniture item] come with mounting hardware to affix it to the wall?
- Please be prepared to share your WIFI information (if the task includes installing a smart home device)
- Which rooms/closets/areas do you need help organizing/designing?
Tools & Supplies
Leverage your toolkit that you would normally use during Furniture Assembly, Mounting, or Minor Home Repairs task. If you’re just getting started, see our article, “The Tools that Taskers Use the Most”, for suggestions.
If you have Organization expertise and can suggest products that your Client may want to consider getting for their space, you can consider those as supplies!
Typical Babyproofing Tasks
- Changing tables
- Glider chairs
Set up devices
- Baby monitors
- Dimmer switches
- Entertainment centers
- Extension cords
- Long cables
- Other wiring (often TV or WIFI-related)
- Tall lamps
- Bar stools
- Freestanding coat racks
- Bar carts
- Any exposed musical instruments
- Any sculptures or reachable heavy artwork
Install safety locks
- Window safety guards and/or safety bars
- Cordless window shades/blinds
- Oven door and stove knobs
- Cabinets and drawers
- Medicine cabinet
- Diaper pail
- Garbage bins
Install baby gates
- Across stairways
- Within or between rooms at the top and at the bottom
- In any exterior door frame or stairway
- On gates around property
- Around pool area
Organize closets, drawers, etc.
- Pots, pans, Tupperware, plastic spoons, measuring cups, and other safe objects can be moved to lower drawers and cabinets where babies can safely explore
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap, rubber bands, sharp knives, scissors, glassware, and other potentially breakable or harmful objects should be moved to higher cabinets and drawers
- Containers storing pasta, nuts, or other choking hazards should be moved out of reach
- Alcohol and other substances, such as medicine should be moved out of reach
- Toxic products such as cleaning supplies should be moved out of reach
Again, this is not an exhaustive list but you can expect Babyproofing tasks covering these basics. You can also expect to sometimes get hired in the Babyproofing category to do tasks like installing gates for pet babies! 🐾
Information provided by The Burrow is for general and informational purposes only and we make no warranty regarding the accuracy, completeness, or validity of any content.