Since becoming a Tasker three years ago, Derek D. has completed over 200 tasks and garnered over 115 fantastic reviews from Clients in the Furniture Assembly, Mounting, Minor Home Repairs, Painting, Organization, and Packing + Unpacking categories. Outside of TaskRabbit, he’s an artist with a penchant for life adventure.
Are you seeing a trend here? We are. By earning extra money as a Tasker and living the flexible lifestyle TaskRabbit offers, Derek is doing what many creative and free-spirited people often only dream of: he’s pursued his passion—made possible by taking financial control of his life through tasking.
Here’s what Derek had to say when we chatted with him about his experience—and why TaskRabbit has become an integral part of it.
Why did you join TaskRabbit, and what’s the greatest benefit you’ve experienced so far?
I became a Tasker to help support my art career. The flexibility of my schedule with TaskRabbit allows me to create art and show my work, then task around that when it suits.
Everyone has a unique story. What is yours?
My unique story is “luck.” I feel so blessed to have met so many wonderful Clients while tasking. Many of these people are my friends now, and they remind me that we do indeed live in a friendly universe!
You’ve lived in many places and done many things. As such, we’re curious: What are the top 5 greatest moments of your life so far?
- Traveling and spending time with my 3 nieces. Since they were as young as 5, I’ve taken them on adventures to the ocean, forests, and cities. My hope is to expand their sense of empathy by exposing them to the arts, nature, and diverse communities.
- Studying at Parsons School of Design. Some of my best moments have been skateboarding down 5th Avenue to Greenwich Village each day to create art.
- Volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in Hawaii. I helped build a home in Waimanalo, Oahu, for people in need of an economic boost. It was extremely rewarding.
- Living in Switzerland during my junior year in college. It was amazing to see all the great works of art and architecture first hand.
- Moving to California for a temporary work assignment that turned into 10 years. That experience transformed my life in so many ways. I moved back east for family commitments and soon found myself moving to New York City for love. As a nature guy who grew up on the New England coast, I never thought I would be so captivated by New York City. Once you learn to surrender to it, the city embraces you. I have met so many wonderful and generous people. The city pushes me to be my best and never ceases to inspire me.
Now, back to TaskRabbit: Why did you join the categories you task in?
I’m an artist and designer who loves to create and build things with a sense of aesthetics. It’s always rewarding to collaborate with a Client, achieve a vision, or even exceed expectations. The place that we live and work in has a huge impact on the quality of our lives. It’s always a pleasure to assist people in making their lives more beautiful, enjoyable, and convenient.
What top tip would you give to people wanting to get started in one of your top categories?
The more prepared you are for a task, the more smoothly it will run. Here’s what I do to prepare:
- Set a vision of what needs to get done.
- Illustrate to the Client in the chat thread how the task will work: all the steps and any issues you might foresee.
- Plan out your priorities.
- Make a materials list
- Measure three times before hammering or cutting. Accuracy is so important!
What is your “special touch” to provide memorable, excellent customer service?
My metaphor in working with Clients is not much different than someone visiting a spa. Clients should feel catered to, special, and valued. Really listen to your Clients, and try to make it an exceptional experience. You’ll be rewarded with repeat business and friendships.
Derek’s spirit really does make a difference to us. We’re always looking for ways to improve and better serve people who use TaskRabbit to pursue their dream lives. Derek’s story is a case study in TaskRabbit giving people the opportunity to live out their dreams thanks to the flexibility that tasking provides.