Expanding, you ask? Yes, we are! We’re thrilled to announce that the TaskRabbit platform is now available in three new cities in the US: Jacksonville, FL; Memphis, TN; and New Haven, CT!
As the gig economy continues to grow, TaskRabbit continues to offer one of the most flexible, independent ways for people to make money. We’re particularly proud that our platform allows people not just to play to their strengths, but also to build their own brands, connect with other people, and run their own unique businesses.
One of our favorite things when launching in new cities is to share fun facts about them, because we value each and every one of our metros! So if you’re not from Jacksonville, Memphis, and New Haven, here are some tidbits to give you a taste of life there:
- Jacksonville is Florida’s largest city by population, but at 875 square miles, it’s also the largest city by area in the continental United States.
- Merian C. Cooper, a screenwriter, film producer, and director best known for creating King Kong, was born here on October 23, 1893.
- In 1979, Dr. Frances Barnett became the first female president of a Florida university. She was in charge of Jacksonville University for a decade before serving as chancellor for another 15 years. She turned 100 years old in 2017–clearly an example of making the most of life!
- The city is named after Memphis, Egypt, one of that civilization’s ancient capitals.
- Memphis was the home of Piggly Wiggly, the first self-service grocery store in America. Prior to its opening in 1916, shoppers had to hand a list to grocers, who would then go gather the items requested.
- Memphis is the home of one of four major BBQ styles (“Memphis BBQ”)–which is a result of it being a major port city. While other southern cities were limited by local ingredients, Memphis could ship in molasses via the Mississippi River, which gave the BBQ its distinctive sweet taste.
New Haven, CT
- The United States’ first hamburger was served in New Haven, at Louis’ Lunch, a restaurant that opened in 1985 and still operates today.
- Yale University, one of the top Ivy League schools in the United States, calls New Haven home.
- New Haven boasts its own style of pizza–known as “apizza”–and it’s a big deal (locals say it’s the best pizza in the United States). The “a” in front of “pizza” comes from a dialect from the Naples region of Italy, where many of New Haven’s immigrants migrated from.
We are thrilled to be expanding our marketplace to these three fascinating cities this week! You can expect high Client demand right away, particularly in our big categories like Help Moving, Furniture Assembly, Minor Home Repairs, and Cleaning, so get ready. And remember: If you find yourself traveling or moving to one of these cites (or any of our other cities!) and wanting to make money, update your Demand Map and task away!