Did you know that April 22nd is International Earth Day? At TaskRabbit HQ, we do our best to be environmentally friendly every day, but it doesn’t hurt to have a holiday to remind us of the importance of protecting the planet for current and future generations. Every little bit counts!
We know that “being green” can sometimes be a challenge. Maybe environmentally-friendly or organic products are more expensive. Maybe your local hardware store doesn’t stock energy-efficient light bulbs. Maybe figuring out what is recyclable and what isn’t is tricky. But we believe that protecting the environment is worth any extra effort. After all, we have only one planet.
If you’re wondering what you can do to help reduce your environmental impact, here are some tips:
- Remember the 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
- Find ways to buy and use local, non-toxic products and ingredients.
- Buy used equipment and tools, or share resources with a fellow Tasker!
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- If you task in the Minor Home Repairs category, consider suggesting energy-efficient LEDs to Clients.
- If you task in the Cleaning category, consider suggesting environmentally-friendly cleaning products to Clients.
- Take public transportation if possible, or conserve fuel by keeping your tasks close to each other.
We are proud to share that our parent company, IKEA, is a global leader among environmentally friendly companies. Here are just a few awesome things that IKEA is doing to do their part in moving society toward a more eco-friendly future:
- Manufacturing products made of recycled goods.
- Locally sourcing two-thirds of all food sold and served in IKEA cafes.
- Serving and selling 100% organic and sustainably sourced IKEA-branded coffee.
- Sustainably sourcing the wood, cotton, and energy used to create their products.
- Switching their entire lighting range to energy-efficient LEDs.
- Putting $1 billion toward climate action (from the IKEA Group and IKEA Foundation).
If you’re curious what your ecological footprint is, take the Earth Day Network’s quiz! It’s colorful, fun, and informative. Becoming aware of your impact on the environment is the first step toward making a difference!